Skip to main content

My Skincare Routine - I Actually Have One Now!

 

Skincare has always been a hard thing for me to navigate. With a hormonal acne-prone chin from the age of 19 - 23, I didn't trust any product other than water. I tried masks, creams, and other products to get that "influencer skin" and be able to write posts about my favourite non-makeup-related beauty products, but my skin wasn't clear and my confidence was nonexistent. No product including antibiotics and the contraception pill worked until I went on Roaccutane. I did a 3 months course and besides the hideous side effect of nose bleeds, the product did its magic and gave me the confidence I needed to go barefaced most days. But of course age hits and even at 25 I started to notice a change in my skin; my makeup didn't sit how it used to, my eyes looked more tired and my skin texture had changed from normal to dry. 

I needed a skincare routine! 

After trying a couple brands out I found what worked for me, so here's what I use now and highly recommend. 




Cleanser: 
I always knew a cleanser would be one of the most important pieces of my skincare routine so I really wanted to get the right one for me. I had tried a few and found the best option for me was cleansers with the most natural of ingredients so I wouldn't break out or have any skin irritation. 
Liz Earle was a brand my Nan had used for years and when they released their Cleanse & Polish™ Hot Cloth Cleanser I really did find my holy grail product for removing my makeup. I follow the instructions on the back and massage two pumps of the cleanser onto my face, concentrating on areas in which I have the most makeup and daily grime, like my brows, under eyes, cheeks, and chin. I then soak a flannel in warm water, draining out the excess and then wiping off the product with a clean piece of cloth each time. When I haven't worn makeup, I tend to use a reusable cotton pad as I do not need to exfoliate as much, and can be gentler on my skin. Once done I'm left with my face and neck feeling soothed, fresh, and even comfortably tightened, thanks to its cocoa butter, chamomile, and eucalyptus ingredients. 

Eye Cleanser:
If I have worn mascara or eyeshadow that day I like to cleanse again with the Liz Earle Eyebright Soothing Eye Cleanser. Not only has this helped me remove makeup I didn't even know was still around my eyes- like stubborn mascara, it's also helped in the mornings in which I've felt tired, and have had dry, itchy eyes. And for when I just need that extra TLC for my skin and mind after a stressful day, I soak two reusable cotton pads in the eye cleanser and lay back with them on my eyes for 5-10 minutes. I haven't needed expensive one-use eye masks since! 

Skin Tonic: 
After cleansing, I use the Liz Earle Instant Boost Skin Tonic, which I love for its fresh rose geranium scent, and cucumber and aloe vera ingredients. It really does help to bring back hydration to my skin after cleansing and prep me for my next moisturizing steps. I tend to use this on my neck and shoulders as well as my face, sweeping it across those areas with a clean cloth and leaving it to dry. 

Serum:
I had a real hard time trying to find a serum I thought would work for me. It wasn't until my (now) old housemate recommended the brand The Ordinary did I find what I was looking for. The Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% serum is one of my favourite beauty products I have ever used. It's honestly incredible! After double cleansing, and using a skin tonic, I need to bring back a lot of moisture to my naturally dry skin. This The Ordinary product is a gem for doing not only that 1st step in moisturizing, but it also helps brighten my chin and around my mouth where I have blemishes. I apply the serum where my skin needs the most moisture, which tends to be my T zone and I only use about two pumps since I've found a small amount goes a long way with this product. 

Moisturizer: 
My second step in moisturizing is still a work in progress. I'm hoping to find a delicate moisturizer I can dedicate to using just on my face, as of yet I haven't found that so have instead been using my E45 Rich 24HR Cream which I also use all over my body. E45 has always been a family favourite in my household but when they brought out their new Rich 24HR range I was super excited to try it since it felt just that little bit more special and a real treat for me to switch over from my old moisturizers in my self-care routine. I apply this daily to my neck, decolletage, and face in a small amount and wait for it to soak in before applying makeup/sunscreen.

Sunscreen:
Sunscreen for the face was another product I was struggling to find to work for my sensitive skin. Knowing it would break me easily if too strong or thick, I chose to not test many out of fear. It was a conversation with a work colleague that led me to discover La Roche-Posay Anthelios UVMUNE 400 Invisible Fluid SPF50, hesitantly trying it for the first time I went for a makeup-less face and a drop to my forehead, nose, cheeks, chin, neck, and ears (never forget your ears people!). To my relief, it didn't break me out and is now a product I use every day I leave the house. 


So there you have it- my work-in-progress skincare routine which I'm following almost daily. I am no expert of course so please do not take this as an advice post, and be careful with what products you are using on your own skin, remember to patch test and research ingredients before use. 


















Comments