Skip to main content

My Ultimate Danish Food Experience - Stjerneskud

 

Since the start of my relationship with Nicolai 9 years ago, I've been educated on traditional Danish food, however, I haven't tried much of it since I don't eat meat often. Danish food is built on a diet of meat, particularly pork and fish, for vegetables the go-to would be potatoes, kale and the normal contents of a salad. Since moving here, I've been more tempted to let my diet slide momentarily for the sake of trying more danish delicacies to cure my curiosity, and to Nicolai's delight, he was very much up for taking the reigns and introducing me to some of his favourite meals, starting with Stjerneskud (Shooting Star).

Danmark is known for its food being flavourful so is no surprise that Stjerneskud which is an open-faced sandwich does not disappoint. The basis of the dish is a slice of a fresh loaf, topped with plaice fillets, two sauces, shrimp and an array of decorative vegetables. Since trying it, it definitely places itself at the top of my list of favourite food experiences I've ever had. This probably has something to do with not only the fact the meal is delicious but also the fact Nicolai is a trained chef and has some serious skills in cooking and presenting a meal. It was served so beautifully I didn't want to ruin it by tucking in straight away. 


If you'd like to make the recipe, here's what you'll need:
 And here's how to do: 

The sauces: 
Red sauce- Add paprika to the asparagus water in a small mixing bowl, once mixed add your remaining red sauce ingredients. Taste to preference with salt and pepper, and put aside for assembling on the finished dish, later. 
Hollandaise Sauce- First melt butter in a microwave and put aside. Bring a mixture of white wine and water to a boil, add egg yolks and mix until creamy on a low heat. Once cooled slowly add the melted butter while continuously mixing. Keep the sauce warm by placing it in a water bath between 50-70 degrees Celcius. Alternatively, you can buy a premade sauce- though it won't be as delicious. 

The main meal:
Slice mushrooms finely, and fry on a nonstick pan with no butter or oil. Place aside with added pinch of salt, ready for assembling later. 

Fry two slices of fresh bread in melted butter for about two minutes or until golden crispy. Place on a plate with a salad leaf on each. 

Fry the two plaice fillets in butter until cooked and place on the bread atop the salad. Cover one fillet in the hollandaise sauce, and the other in the red sauce. 

Place mushrooms, asparagus strips, shrimps and cucumber on top of sauced fillets. 

Lastly, on the very top, place a slice of lemon, cut almost completely in half and then twisted- as shown in the pictures. 

Enjoy! 


Nicolai would like me to mention that this recipe may differ from other Danes' as he has watered the original ingredients down for my taste as I can be a fusspot with mixing flavours. 

If you guys enjoyed this- let me know! I'd love to share more of my experiences trying Danish food and give you guys the recipes for you to make at home. I also have a few ideas for some future posts already.  

Comments