Skip to main content

My Tips On Staying Sane And Safe As We Transition Out Of Lockdown


Before going back to work I hadn't come across many concerning situations as I had avoided leaving the house at all costs- thanks mum and dad for making that possible. However, now I'm back in the big wide world of travelling into central London for work and consulting brides back to back for 7-8 hours a day, 5 days a week. It's scary out there but also not surprising as I did braise myself for what was to come and in doing so it really helped me to remain calm in threatening situations and feel safe in my own re/actions. 
So for those of you who aren't yet back to the routine you knew before lockdown- I thought I'd share my tips, in the hopes it helps at least one you reading this. 

     
1. Wear your masks at every opportunity- No excuses- WEAR A MASK! This may not be followed by everyone but for those who are aware that its the safest option, wear it. Your mask not only protects you it also protects anyone who you come in close proximity to and for those of us who are at higher risk, we really appreciate you considering us and everyone else. I've been doing this the minute I step out the door of my house to the minute I step back in it (with the exception of when I'm eating my lunch at work in the staff room with no one else around). It's not hard people. Even my mother who has severe asthma is doing it. 

2. Handle your worries and anxiety head-on- everyone will have them at the moment and its important to tackle your emotions surrounding your new normality properly instead of ignoring them. A bride I had served on Monday who is a psychologist told me she has had more people referred to her now than ever due to the pandemic and surprisingly she saw it as a good thing because it meant people were tackling their mental health issues properly rather than sweeping it under a rug and pretending it didn't exist. Of course, talking to someone isn't everyone's preferred practice so if you're like a few people I know and prefer to tackle this on your own, do so while using breathing exercises or writing your thoughts and feelings down or having another type of healthy outlet.

 3. Calmly ask people to keep their distance- there's no need to be aggressive when reminding someone on transport or walking down the street, that they are too close. It's easy for some people to fall back into their old ways and forget distancing rules. If you see someone remove their masks when no ones looking, politely ask them to keep it on. If you work in retail and are at higher risk, wear a badge or mention it to customers you come in contact with so they behave appropriately around you. I found this one to be so important in my work as its one I'm very hands-on with the public in. Thankfully I haven't had any nasty encounters when reminding anyone of safety guidelines and I think that has a lot to do with my approach when speaking to them. 

4. Question the guidelines of your work if they don't fit into your needs- this was something I had to do even before my first day back at work. I spoke with my manager and agreed on how I would work moving forward to assure my health was looked after. As a diabetic, it was important to do so but even if I wasn't at higher risk I still would have had the conversation and I advise everyone else to before they go back to work and make sure you get these guidelines in written form also. Like individual people, businesses can slip up in these unprecedented times. We're all human and all in this together. Let's be understanding and make improvements where needed. 
Shop my favourite pieces to stay safe
 
 
  
   

Please note my advice is from my own experiences and views followed along with the UK government guidelines. Please follow your own government's guidelines when stepping back into your work and everyday normalities. Remember these guidelines have been set out to keep everyone safe including the elderly and those more at risk due to health issues. Let's keep them in mind while we try to get back to "normal". 

Comments