Skip to main content

Why I've Lost Respect For The Fashion Industry


Fashion. It really does make the world go round. An industry that's controversial but has every single person on this planet play a part in it. It's a place I've worked in since I was 16 and somewhere I've experienced some of my most memorable experiences. 
 I wouldn't say I've fallen out of love for the industry but when I asked myself what have I lost I guess the right word for it was respect. I've lost respect for many reasons- ones out of experience from behind the scenes of fashion and also ones from a point of view as a consumer. 


Location: Nyborg Slot

Why? 

1. Culture Appropriation - A sensitive subject this one is, but brands have been doing it for years and sadly despite how much we talk and campaign for it not to happen, we see it appear again and again with each fashion week that goes by. Luxury fashion brands seem to make the mistake more than they should hence me not even bothering to name examples as there would be a list as long as the never-ending scarf I've bought this winter. "... It's probably clear now that these brands are severely lacking the cultural context and knowledge to avoid these same pitfalls. If these global brands are serious about their commitment to increasing corporate diversity, it needs to happen at all levels and departments, not just the creative teams". It was this quote on a Diet Prada Post that I thought summed it up perfectly and if that isn't good enough advice for the industry to take on, I don't know what is. 


2. Disability Exclusivity - There is a wide range of disabilities that aren't shown in fashion and although the industry as a whole is moving in the right direction with models like Madeline Stuart, campaigners like SinĂ©ad Burke and campaigns showing "diverse" people and bodies, brands aren't doing enough to represent real people throughout their websites and social platforms which to the knowledgable consumer makes it looks like a gimmick for sales rather than them actually caring, understanding and wanting to make a difference. 


3. Size Exclusivity and Preconceptions - This is something I should go into more detail on in its own blog post. It's a subject I feel so strongly on because it affects me daily. I don't fit into the bracket of more than 50% of women in the UK who are a size 16 and over. I'm in the complete opposite bracket of women- a healthy UK size 4 girl who's petite in every single way and although I see plenty of petite ranges in brands now (which I am thankful for), I don't see brands and industry voices making it known that size 2 and 4 are healthy weights for a girl under 5ft3. The industry as a whole does not educate people or try to stop preconceptions of any sizes and they don't try to stop shaming or encourage body positivity. Even with activists and influencers collaborating with brands nowadays, we lose understanding and education because some only use the publicity for their own gain (*cough cough* Tess Holliday). I'm not sure if its an issue we'll ever be rid of in the industry and I worry with the way we're encouraging the positivity and labels it'll only make things worse in the long run. 


4. Sustainability Lies - This is an issue that has shocked me the more I look into it. Most recently H&M have been investigated due to claims they have been illegally misleading consumers about the sustainability of their clothes. It comes as no surprise as most brands and companies have said they've dived into the sustainable fashion bandwagon but shockingly a lot of those brands are greenwashing and doing very little to fight the current environmental disasters that are visually happening all around us. On the surface, a lot of these brand's eco-friendly aims sound promising but behind closed doors, some of them are half asked and only progressive in small ways that don't make a big enough difference in the long run. Sad to say but climate fears against consumers is just another way companies but more specifically, brands are making money.


5. Mental Health - In my experience mental health has been overlooked for those who work in fashion. Sure it's been spoken about by top designers who have shared their stories of the mental health issues that come with their work but for the people who don't have a voice that will be heard, its as if their mental health doesn't matter because it isn't their name on the garments label. There are pressures for every single professional across the board in fashion, even the individual serving you behind the till. Fashion is a business that hasn't yet introduced initiatives that target mental wellbeing with progressive results. Of course, there are some brands that have set examples for the industry as a whole and they do look after their employees mentally and physically but it can't be said for some of the biggest names in fashion. Its as if most companies and brands do not see it as a priority, with employees being told to go get help outside of work and pressured not to take time off to do so because of how demanding their job is- something I've been told twice before. 


This doesn't mean I've decided to stop working in fashion and it doesn't mean I can boycott ever buying clothing again either, but it does mean I look at things a little differently now and take more of everyday working life with a pinch of salt. 

Are there any things that have made you lose respect for the fashion industry? Do you have any experiences that have changed the way you view it?

Comments