Skip to main content

My Long Distance Relationship- A Story I've Never Told.


I never thought I'd be sitting here writing this post and that's due to the fact I didn't see this relationship in my future. Truth is I've been struggling to find the words to explain this all.
I mean, how do you sum up a seven-year relationship that has had its ups and downs but also sounds like something out of a modern fairytale?

It all started on the 12th of April 2012, a friend of mine introduced Nicholai and I while he was visiting London and after spending a few days getting to know each other we decided to start dating long distance. It was a bit of a nieve plan and although we were in a relationship for the next two years, we didn't see each other in person once. Nicolai lives in Denmark which is more than 800 miles away from where I live in the city of London. As teenagers, it just wasn't possible for us to travel that distance on our own so we decided to date other people and stay friends. For five years that worked out pretty well. Of course, we went through periods of not talking as much but we were always there for each other like we were when in our relationship. We got to see each other (from a phone screen) graduate, work in many jobs, date other people and I even got to see Nicolai become a father. Five years gave us a lot of time to grow up.

 Fast forward to 2019 and in February Nicolai messaged me with the news that he'd be in London in March, it was pretty insane to think I'd be seeing my best friend after all these years. The day of being reunited came and flew by. We went out for food and walked around Soho till late, it wasn't at all awkward but definitely was surreal. When we said goodbye that night it was like we had gone back in time to when we first met. We hugged each other goodbye and it was as if nothing had changed, I realised I was still madly in love with my ex of seven years. Little did I know at the time, he felt the same.

On July 8th I made my first trip over to Denmark. It was nerve-racking but completely worth it. I flew those 800 miles with the intention of being just friends with Nicolai, after all, I didn't know he felt the exact same way as I did. However, as soon as we spoke about things we realised it'd be stupid not to try again, only this time as adults who are mature enough and financially able to make this work like most other LDRs.



I'm not saying this could be my happily ever after. There will be hard times again- missing each other and cancelled trips but if our history is anything to go by, this relationship could last longer this time and it could lead to big things. Perhaps moving to another country, perhaps walking down the aisle, perhaps making a family. This is all pretty surreal still but what's different to any of the other relationships I've somewhat spoken about but not opened up about is not only the mutual feelings and bond but the complete faith and push we have to not give up and to defy the odds, hence me now writing a blog post about it all.

Comments