Skip to main content

My Guide to Vintage Repro Lingerie



Since working for a lot of vintage reproduction brands, I've come across more and more shops and even high street stores taking on styles and trends that are exact replicas of things worn in the 30s-70s. Since working for Vivien of Holloway I've grown an interest more specifically in lingerie of those eras. I definitely feel the part when my underwear matches the style and era of what I'm wearing over it and I learnt that having the right foundations can also make a huge difference in the way you move in the finished outfit. So with that being said, I thought I'd share some of my favourite styles and brands with you guys, in the hope that you also find something you like that can influence you in your personal style.

 



What Katie Did

Starting with one of the most well known of vintage reproduction lingerie brands, What Katie Did may just be one of my favourite brands for stockings and corsets. Price ranged at around £10- £300, the brand has all grounds covered from french knickers to bullet bras- which the brand is most well known for. Their sizes range from UK size 8- UK size 26. 
Some of my favourite pieces in the last few years have been their coloured seamed stockings, their cathedral bra and the waspie corset luna extreme which work wonders in creating the 1950s hourglass figure. 

Playful Promises

When I was searching for a vintage style bra that would fit my small bust. I got lucky when discovering that Bettie Page Lingerie (sold on Playful Promises' website) made bras for us smaller chested girls. Sizes range from 32A- 44H in bras and size UK 6- UK 30 in almost everything else the website sells (depending on the brand), meaning there's something for almost every body type. If your budget is on the lower side than Playful Promises have many sales throughout the year and restock things fairly quickly when they do sell out. What I love about this brand is there are no limits to what they can create. If you prefer comfort over anything else then they have modern fits to their underwear too as well as nightwear, and even better they've introduced activewear by Wolf and Whistle. I highly recommend the Bettie Page longline overwire bra and any of their high waisted briefs.  

Revival Lingerie

 Another item I was in search of was a classic 6 strap suspender belt that would fit my small waist and hips. Revival Lingerie popped up on my Instagram feed one day and to my surprise, they had exactly what I was looking for. If you're looking for great quality that's inexpensive, I highly recommend them for their girdles and suspender belts. Sizes range from XS-5XL and run a little smaller than the normal UK sizing (from my experience).

Monki

Although Monki is a high street brand and doesn't create lingerie with the intention to make it all look true to the vintage style and fit, they do sell high waisted briefs which I fell in love with. I now own close to ten pairs and they're all I wear now at work and even on my days off. I've been fully converted from wearing thongs and Brazilian cut briefs to high waisted ones. Monki has created a pair that's all lace in the back and sides and comes in many colours (my favourite style), as well as ones that are all fabric and less showy that are in fun patterns. Sizes range from XXS- XL. 


Shop the look:
Bettie Page longline teal black overwire bra - (sold out but available in other colours)


Images of me were taken when I shot for the day with John Anderson as part of a collaboration with him.
You can follow his work here.








Comments